Rentals: Frequently Asked Questions
What's included in the rental rate?
What other costs will be charged?
Does The Cultch require a deposit?
How far in advance do I need to book?
What if I have to cancel my event?
What about concessions?
Is The Cultch wheelchair accessible?
Does The Cultch offer a Youth Pass?
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE RENTAL RATE?
- Listing in The Cultch’s online calendar
Listing in The Cultch’s quarterly newsletter, provided editorial deadlines are met
Listing on The Cultch’s ‘What’s On’ weekly voice recording
WHAT OTHER COSTS WILL BE CHARGED?
Box Office Services
$32 per hour per person – 4hr minimum call.
- One technician for lighting and one technician for sound will be required for the smooth running of your event.
- Overtime costs will be charged to you at time and a half for hours in excess of 8 in a day and double time for hours worked in excess of 11.
Technicians must receive an unpaid break of 1 hour or a paid break of 1/2 hour after a maximum of 5 hours of work.
On statutory holidays, technicians are paid at the overtime rate, plus an average day’s pay, as per the Employment Standards Act.
Front of House Services
- $22 per hour, per person – 4hr minimum call
- Advance tickets sold through The Cultch box office via phone, online and in person
- Door sales on the night of the event starting one hour prior to performance.
- When there is a performance in both the Culture Lab and the Historic Theatre, the cost of the box office labour is shared between the two events.
- $22 per hour, per person – 4hr minimum call
- Arrive 2hrs prior to curtain. Stay until the last audience member has left
- Pre and post performance cleaners are included in the theatre rental rate
- When there is a performance in both the Culture Lab and the Historic Theatre, the cost of the front of house manager is shared between the two events.
Any incidental costs such as those associated with a reception or with piano tuning, etc. or those associated with extraordinary cleaning services will be charged to you. We can provide a piano and piano tuner, but they are not included in the basic rental of the theatre.
Box Office Service Charges
- Cultch service charge - $3.36 per ticket for events in the Vancity Culture Lab; $5.60 per ticket for events in the Historic Theatre.
- Event Setup fee - $50.00
- Credit Card Commission – 3%, Debit Commission – 1%
Presenters will be allotted either 10 or 30 complimentary tickets (depending on the venue) for each performance free of the $3.36 service charge. Additional comp tickets will be charged at $3.36 per ticket.
Royalties will be deducted if the show is a musical event. For popular music, these are calculated at a rate of 3% of total sales per performance net of GST and the service charges fee. For classical music, the rate is 1.6%.
There is a 10% commission charged on all lobby sales. Sales staff and a cash float are the responsibility of the presenter.
DOES THE CULTCH REQUIRE A DEPOSIT?
A deposit of 100% of the rental fee for single day events and 50% of the rental fee for weekly rentals is required when your event is contracted. This deposit is non refundable.
HOW FAR IN ADVANCE DO I NEED TO BOOK?
The Cultch is available for rental every day of our season (September through August), although Cultch presentations and co-presentations always take priority. Renters looking for week-long bookings need to book as much as a year in advance. One or two-day renters are generally confirmed and contracted at least three to four months before their event. Other dates do come up, however, and there are occasional cancellations. Call to check. Weekend evenings are the most popular and tend to be booked far in advance.
WHAT IF I HAVE TO CANCEL MY EVENT?
One hundred per cent of the minimum rental rate ($600 or $400 per day) is non-refundable for any contracted show cancelled less than 90 days prior to the event. An administrative fee of $50 will be charged for any contracted show cancelled more than 180 days prior to the event.
WHAT ABOUT CONCESSIONS?
The Cultch will operate a bar/cafe service (and retain the revenue) for the benefit of your patrons. Any special bar/concessions or reception arrangements should be made when the contract is negotiated, and must be confirmed at least three weeks before the event.
IS THE CULTCH WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE?
All areas of the facility are accessible.
DOES THE CULTCH OFFER A YOUTH PASS?
Yes! The Cultch has undertaken a Youth Initiative Program which includes an affordable ticket program for young people in Vancouver. This program is a result of the recognition that the arts in general, and The Cultch in particular must develop new strategies in order to address the needs of the younger generation of audiences (12-19yrs). We sincerely believe that, as a community arts centre, we must do more to accommodate young people.
The Cultch Youth Pass is distributed to youth between the ages of 12 and 19 through high schools, community centres and youth organizations upon request. The pass will enable students to buy at-door tickets to performances at The Cultch for just $5.00. The $5.00 charge will cover The Cultch's box office service charges. From the presenter's perspective, the Youth Pass tickets are essentially complimentary rush tickets. This initiative will not affect the number of tickets available for sale as stated on page one (1) of your rental agreement because The Cultch always has and will continue to hold a limited number of seats over and above the contracted number. This means that even at sold-out shows, tickets will be available for Youth Pass holders.
How The Cultch Youth Pass Works:
- Youth present the pass, with their student ID, at the box office on the afternoon/night of the performance. The pass cannot be used for advance ticket purchases.
- Two (2) tickets are held for each show at the Historic Theatre and two (2) tickets are held in the Vancity Culture Lab for Youth Pass Holders. These tickets are sold to Youth Pass holders on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Once all tickets are sold to Youth Pass holders, any additional holders will have the opportunity to purchase any unsold tickets immediately prior to the commencement of the performance at the $5.00 rate. There is no limit to the number of students who can attend a performance as long as tickets are still available; however in these instances people buying tickets at full price will always take priority.
- The pass is not transferable.
If you are interested in renting The Cultch for your event, please contact our rentals co-ordinator Jennifer Spry at 604.251.1766 x.107 for availability and additional information.
BACK TO TOP